Let's face it, being a student basically equates to the perpetual state of being broke. Even if you're working part-time, it's unlikely you have a steady source of income. Sure, you have your parents' money, but you can't always go crazy with that debit card because at the same time, your parents are the ones covering your tuition. And you need to take care of your stomach, no? For the broke fashionista, it's the eternal dilemma between eating or shopping. Choosing between lunch this week or that pair of shoes you've been eyeing for so long. Can't have both, can you?
Luckily, sometimes you can.
Sometimes, flashing your school ID at stores can score you a pretty decent discount. While it won't entirely solve the food/shopping dilemma, it can definitely help reduce the dent in your wallet on those days that you really need to fill that retail craving.
I've compiled a list of students with either stores discounts or similar offers valid year-round. These generally require college IDs, so I'm not sure whether high school IDs will fly. It's always a good idea to double-check with an associate in store so you know for sure if the discount is valid.
If you know of any other good offers, please share in the comments and I'll add it to this list! Happy shopping!
- Ann Taylor - 20% off
- On full-price purchases, perfect time to purchase a suit for that upcoming internship interview.
- Ann Taylor Loft - 15% off
- A more casual, cheaper alternative to Ann Taylor.
- Banana Republic - 15% off
- Classy pieces, awesome collections year round, including their Mad Men and their flight attendant uniforms for Virgin Airlines.
- Charlotte Russe - 10% off
- Great for cheap clothes when you need an outfit for an event but don't want to make the splurge. I've heard that they don't allow you to apply the discount on sale items before, but can't verify this.
- J. Crew - 15% off
- Full-price purchases. Preppy, classic styles that are timeless.
- The Limited - 15% off
- Rugby by Ralph Lauren - 15% off
- It's all about the prepster look, similar to Abercrombie & Fitch but with true class that caters to the younger generation. Even the ads make me feel like the models attend Cambridge or one of the Ivies.
- Topshop - 10% off
- For me, this place tends to sell things a little more pricey than they're worth quality-wise, but I admit I love going in there and ogle at the Euro-trends they carry.
- Urban Outfitters - 10% off (select dates)
- Make sure you sign up for the mailing list to get news of when the student discount is going on.
- Juicy Couture - 15% off
- Madewell - 15% off
- My absolute favorite brand out of this list. Madewell's the younger, fresher sister of J.Crew that's also a little cheaper, too.
- Steve Madden - 10% off
- Need I say more?
- Vineyard Vines - 15% off
- Another cute, preppy retailer with a nautical twist on traditional looks.
- Barbour - 15% off (jackets only)
- I'm not a fan of all their coats, but there are some gems that I totally dig - i.e. their military jacket.
- Club Monaco - 20% off
- Full-price and sale items. Not exactly cheap, but I love their collections that have a chic, yet casual and effortless vibe.
- Eddie Bauer - 15% off
- Heading out for some exercise this weekend or over the break? Perfect place to get some new gear.
- Eastern Mountain Sports - 15% off
- Another great athletics retailer.
- Goodwill - 10% off
- Another great offer, but apparently some Goodwills don't offer this discount.
- H&M - 20% off one item
- This isn't actually a discount that requires student ID but I use this often so I put it here anyways. When you sign up for the mailing list, they give you this offer to present in-store. And during special occasions, they also give out the same offer through email!
- French Connection - 15% off
- On full price purchases. I don't know if this is still valid, would be great if someone could verify this!
- Amazon - Amazon Prime for 1 Year
- Just register with your .edu email and you get a free one year subscription of Amazon Prime. Say goodbye to waiting forever for your package and hello to 2-day shipping!